POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic :  : Re: Rune's Locomotion System Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rune's Locomotion System
From: Rune
Date: 8 Nov 2008 14:45:01
Message: <web.4915eb28464d4b141307355c0@news.povray.org>
> St. wrote:
> >     That's great! I think I've seen a similar video in the past made by the
> > CryTek team, and Rune's is better. Loved the dog and the heron.
>
> Of course, when a *real* quaduped turns, it's spine bends round the
> corner as well.

Yeah, the Locomotion System is limited in that regard. :/

> And the leaning up and down hill depends on speed.
> (Watch a dog run down a steep hill. It doesn't lean back, but forward.
> It leans back if walking down a hill slowly.)

Actually there is no forward/backward leaning for quadrupeds in the current
implementation; they simply keep the legs equally vertical as they would do on
a horizontal surface. They do lean sideways though, based on
acceleration/banking.

However, it would not be hard to extend the system with this functionality.

> OTOH, I couldn't even model a dog in the first place - using any
> modelling technology thus far invented. (Presumably Rune's dog is
> moddelled out of polygons, even though this is impossible.)

It is, but *I* didn't do it. I was given permission to use the quadruped models
from WolfQuest.org, for testing purposes. I didn't create the other models
either.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com