POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : A sunrise with media and radiosity : Re: A sunrise with media and radiosity Server Time
26 Jun 2024 11:48:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A sunrise with media and radiosity
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Nov 2008 23:05:00
Message: <web.4912682c657b8a9578dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> >  Try this: Make a small sphere, out of camera view, fill it with
> > media, then INVERSE the sphere. [And add a scene-filling object in the
> > background, for the media to appear against.]
> > According to my notes, that 'fills the universe' with media, and the scene
> > no longer shows those radiosity problems!
>
> Well...I can't seem to reproduce that result now. I don't
> remember how I came up with that idea, but it doesn't work (although
> my old notes say it does.) Can't trust those old notes. :-$
>
> Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase! I'll continue to try and figure
> out my error...

For what it's worth, I did finally figure out how to reproduce this. Strangely,
it depends on the Bounding_Threshold value in the .ini file (or on the command
line.) By setting the threshold to one MORE than the total number of objects in
the scene, the inverse trick works, and the media appears everywhere outside the
sphere. (Lights don't count in this total.) If the threshold value is <= the
total number of objects, inverse has no effect, and the media still appears
inside the media object. Bounding_Threshold shouldn't behave that way, AFAIK.

I also found something else strange (if my eyes are not deceiving me): Using
inverse, the new 'universe-filling' media is not contributing anything to the
rad lighting. Only the INVISIBLE media in the sphere is (!), and again in the
same incorrect way. But there shouldn't be any media in the sphere now.

Perhaps there are hidden clues here to rad's odd behavior with object media.

Ken W.