POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : location dependant refractive index : Re: location dependant refractive index Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: location dependant refractive index
From: feestje
Date: 5 Nov 2008 04:40:00
Message: <web.4911694ea1a15775934be4af0@news.povray.org>
hi all

thanks a lot Florian! I'm starting to understand the code (remember I'm a
newbie) and I like the rendering. It looks great. It isn't exactly what I'm
looking for.

Let me explain myself better. I'm trying to mimic the result of Cooper in 1984.
http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mirageeffectrg9.jpg

He submerges a bal in what I presume is water above a heater. As more water get
heated it rises up through convection. The boundary between hot and cold rises
up. When lit from behind as is often the case in bubble research he witnesses
the mirage effect. An effect I would like to make an animation of. The first
step is to see the effect in 1 frame. making an animation should be easy after
that.

I tried to use the radiosity setting but I to didn't generate the effect.
somewhere I am making a mistake. I'll keep trying to solve it.

Any help from you would be greatly appreciated!

regards, Ruud