POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How is fade_color used? : Re: How is fade_color used? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:00:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is fade_color used?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 31 Oct 2008 01:55:00
Message: <web.490a9c11a1c415d885de7b680@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> In the interior block, you need not only face_color but also fade_distance, and
> fade_power.
>
> fade_color control what color to fade to.
> fade_distance controls the distance, in units, over whitch the face_color
> contribute to half of the final coloration.
> fade_power controls the "shape" of the atenuation curve. This should normaly be
> set to 1 OR 1001. Both are correct. 1 is a linear atenuation 1001 is an
> exponential atenuation.

That's a nice summary of the documentation.  I could've done that.

My problem is that I can't relate fade_color to the appearance of the object.
It obviously controls the color, but in what manner?

Say I want a muted green color.  I try some numbers for fade_power,
fade_distance, and fade_color, and I get a smoky moss gray.  I tweak the
numbers a bit and end up with an overpowering emerald green.  I try to tone it
down a bit and end up with black with bright green fringes.  And so on.  It's
like throwing clay at a wall repeatedly, and hoping that a flower pot will come
out.

The root problem--at least for me--is that fade_color is not in either of the
attenuation formulas as documented.  Because of this, I just can't figure out
how fade_color will affect the attenuation.  That's what I'd like to know.