POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : A sunrise with media and radiosity : Re: A sunrise with media and radiosity Server Time
15 Jun 2024 17:59:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A sunrise with media and radiosity
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Oct 2008 11:40:01
Message: <web.48fdf56a657b8a9578dcad930@news.povray.org>
"ajtribick" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Yes the testing I have been doing since I made this animation led me to the same
> conclusion. Has this been reported in an official bug reports forum?

Don't know.  While experimenting with this last year, I Google'ed the subject
and came across an *old* bug report (or message thread) that mentioned the same
thing. I assumed that the POV team was aware of it. They probably are; it must
be a difficult problem to solve (perhaps tied in with transparency issues.)

In looking back over my own POV test scene (and its MANY notes), I see that I
*did* come up with a workaround. An odd one, to be sure.  Try this: Make a
small sphere, out of camera view, fill it with media, then INVERSE the sphere.
According to my notes, that 'fills the universe' with media, and the scene no
longer shows those radiosity problems! (But to see the media, there needs to be
a 'background object' in this case, like a large flat box way off in the
distance, filling the frame, for the media to appear against. The box could be
textured with some kind of sky pigment or pattern, in your case.)

I'll do some tests again, to see if this is an 'always-true' workaround.

My notes also tell me that plain 'atmospheric' media--that is, not enclosed in
an object--works well too; no rad problems. I'll try that again as well.

KW