POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Adding inside_vector (for CSG) to HF macros in shapes.inc : Re: Adding inside_vector (for CSG) to HF macros in shapes.inc Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding inside_vector (for CSG) to HF macros in shapes.inc
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Oct 2008 17:55:00
Message: <web.48fbab686bc5685d78dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:

> is this just one frame ?

Yes.

> I think for accurate results, you should render as
> many frames as you can, and average the render-times.  For all we know, the
> difference you came up with now could be due to, I don't know, Windows
> Update for instance.

Let me explain my procedure:
I never run POV-Ray while connected to the 'net. I also disable my
resources-hungry virus protection software (Norton Antivirus 2005 and its
irritating behind-the-scenes CCAPP process.)

I started POV 'fresh' for each render. (I have a sneaking suspicion that there's
a memory leak somewhere, pertaining to this scene; but I'll leave that for
later.) I also made sure that the HF cylinder filled the frame--a relatively
wide-angle camera looking into the open-ended cylinder, down its length, to
take in as many triangles as possible.

I'm not too familiar with running true benchmark tests, but I hope this
clarifies things. I did run the test several more times, and the average
render-time difference is 2%.

BTW, I too have noticed that the exact same scene, run several times, produces
slightly different render times.

KW