POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Oct 2008 09:00:00
Message: <web.48f496a4bc894529208d05c80@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin <taustin> wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
> > Here are a couple of tips for everyone when working on live equipment. Wear
> > insulating footwear and keep one hand in your pocket. That way the current is
> > less likely to find a path through your body.
> >

> I am not an electrician, so I know enough to be dangerous.
> Actually, I studied electrical engineering - so I know enough to keep
> mostly safe.
>
> I was thinking I would write about keeping a hand in the pocket, but you
> beat me to it.
>
> I always have a hand in my pocket when routing wires in my main electric
> panel where I can't easily turn everything off.  It isn't enough to just
> keep a hand away - by instinct you will use it to grab on to something.

I get nervous working over 5V Vcc.

reason I stopped working offshore. It was getting too dangerous.

waistband.

> I've been lucky, I've never been hit with anything more than 110v

A mere tingle :P
240 V is not too bad it hurts more but is bearable if it is just through your
hand. And most of the shock is just shock people do get used to it and can even
deliberately touch live connectors to test the voltage. The trick is to do it
fast and the pain level will tell you the voltage. The same way that I learned
to see how close to boiling water is by dipping my fingers into it (FAST). The
human body is very resilient.

Stephen