POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Access to height field data : Re: Access to height field data Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Access to height field data
From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Oct 2008 01:50:00
Message: <web.48f430e7cd5c214378dcad930@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>   And then be sure to reset the norm back to
>   zero at before the next time you use it:
>
> #declare norm = <0,0,0>;
>
> > #end

I don't think that's necessary (I've never found it to be.) norm just needs to
be 'created' once--as kind of an empty placeholder for the normal vector(s) that
will be found by tracing. (It can be set up with *any* three values, actually.)
Then each time trace traces the object, norm will be filled with a REAL normal
vector. No need to 'empty it out' each time.

Ken W.