POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : So linux actually costs $40 : Re: So linux actually costs $40 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So linux actually costs $40
From: gregjohn
Date: 8 Oct 2008 12:40:00
Message: <web.48ece22ed818677e40d56c170@news.povray.org>

> Similarly, binary drivers with the kernel - apart from tainting the
> kernel (and making crash diagnosis more difficult as a result), it's not
> clear about the legality of including them, so the approach openSUSE has
> taken has been to not include them on the disc but with 11.0 during the
> installation you are given the choice of adding the ATI or nVidia driver
> repos to the installation.  The 11.0 install is *very* slick.

Ubuntu 8.10 (alpha) gives you an on-screen notification about its activation
proprietary drivers for graphics AND wifi drivers that it's already decided to
use. The purist is free at that point to leave the room if need be.  *That* I
believe is the best approach.

The removal of ath_pci is precisely the reason I left openSUSE for my hobby use.
 Somehow it was more annoying because I loved SUSE so much I had decided to pay
for 10.1 CD's as soon as they were available.  It was such a bummer not to be
able to use the internet.
http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/SUSE_10.1

I had much appreciated the professional polish (and I don't mean eye candy) of
SUSE. I was a bit bummed that its repositories for povray and blender were so
old.