POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More random humous : Re: More random humous Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More random humous
From: nemesis
Date: 7 Oct 2008 00:35:00
Message: <web.48eae686e855c315d4ce4e9c0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I'm curious: Were mutable arrays a later addition to the Haskell language?
> Did it start as a pure functional language, but mutable arrays were added
> later because pure functionality is *not* the silver bullet?-)

Possibly, yes.  Like Monadic IO, which was added later.  You may ask how IO was
done before.

Think Haskell doing pure functional processing and producing and output list of
results and an outer program receiving the list and doing proper, ugly, impure
IO over it and you may have a somewhat accurate picture. Of course, relying on
an external program doesn't do the ego any good... :)

Or so I heard from Simon Peyton Jones in his excelent "Tackling the Awkward
Squad" paper:
http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/marktoberdorf/