POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : height field generation : Re: height field generation Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:56:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: height field generation
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 1 Oct 2008 05:20:01
Message: <web.48e3404ddfbf1b63fddaa4670@news.povray.org>
> A disadvantage of the Perl GD module is I can't figure out how to generate
> 16-bit PNG with it, which is a real issue, even with "smooth".  The advantage,
> of course, is you needn't reevaluate the function each time the code is
> executed, depending on the function complexity.

I recommend the ppm or, in the case of heightfields, pgm format instead of png.
It is very easy to create, with as many bits as you want.

Povray does support ppm, but I am unsure whether bit-depths higher than 16
are supported. Also, I am unsure if pgm is supported, but you can always use
ppm im case it is not.

See http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/#formats

Best regards,

  Mark Weyer