POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Questions about fixing SHAPES.INC re: recent bug reports : Re: Questions about fixing SHAPES.INC re: recent bug reports Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questions about fixing SHAPES.INC re: recent bug reports
From: Kenneth
Date: 30 Sep 2008 18:20:00
Message: <web.48e2a35f80f4bccd78dcad930@news.povray.org>
There's something important I forgot to mention when #writing a file (at least
with the HF_Cylinder macro)--only because I've been working with shapes.inc so
long that I've used to dealing with it:

In order to #write a data file, the macro (in your SDL) needs a file name in
double quotes. That's covered in the docs, of course.  But there's a problem if
you happen to #declare the HF macro (either with or without an object wrapper):
Putting any file name into the double quotes in the macro causes it to
fail--with one of two fatal error messages: either "Expected RValue to
declare..." or "Expected object,..." Depending on whether or not the #declared
HF object is enclosed in an object wrapper. (It fails either way.) Adding a
semi-colon separator after the macro doesn't help.  BUT, the good news is that
the data file HAS been successfully #written and saved, and can be used. I
discovered that by chance!

This problem doesn't occur when running the HF macro 'raw' (i.e., no #declare.)

And there's no #declare problem if the macro is left in its 'default'
(non-#writing) mode, with just the two default double quotes (an empty string.)
But then, of course, no data file is #written.

These little problems probably need fixing, but they're not scene-killers, once
you get used to their behavior. I suppose most people wouldn't #declare the HF
macro anyway, if they were planning on #writing it's data file and using THAT
as the object. In which case, this entire problem goes away!

Just thought I would mention this stuff for those wanting to experiment with my
original problems.

Ken W.