POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : example uses of min_extent() max_extent() : example uses of min_extent() max_extent() Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  example uses of min_extent() max_extent()
From: wyleu
Date: 12 Sep 2008 15:15:00
Message: <web.48cabe91268a637d46cc72450@news.povray.org>
I've been modeling in visual python www.vpython.org but am keen to render using
more complex control. I also wish to place labels onto objects into the field.
So I am outputing my models to be rendered by pov-ray using povexport.py.
I then wish to replace the labels over the top of the image with external
compositing because I have frequently changing values I wish to place into a
non moving rendered image.

On consulting the FAQ I read the following:

"How can I find the size of a text object / center text / justify text?"

You can use the min_extent() and max_extent() functions (new in POV-Ray 3.5) to
get the corners of the bounding box of any object. While this is sometimes not
the actual size of the object, for text objects this should be fairly accurate,
enough to do alignment of the text object.

I believe this will allow me to return the bounding box for POV-RAY rendered
objects.

My questions are therefore.

How do I specify that an particular object or group of objects returns the
appropriate variables?

and,

How are variable from a POV-RAY command line render returned to a calling
programme?

I have search on Google fro min_extent, max_extent and POV-RAY but can't find
anything that aren't restatements of the FAQ.