POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data recovery : Re: Data recovery Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data recovery
From: Hildur K
Date: 1 Sep 2008 08:35:00
Message: <web.48bbe038d89d321b80197cfe0@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

>     Gah, I feel for you!
>
>      (Hope you are well).
>

>        ~Steve~

more than 4 years) and one on XP. Early on (after my first HD crash which

each on a single physical drive, which means I use the primary partition (C)
for the OS, drivers and programs, and the other partitions (D,E,F) for all work
and data (NEVER saving to "MyDocuments" or "Desktop"). The hard drives are much

In the (very likely) case my OS eventually crashes, I can reinstall or upgrade
without touching the other partitions so there is no loss of data.

This has worked for me for a very long time now, so I generally recommend this
approach. I has certain other advantages, like "defragmentation" is usually a
quick process as you usually only have to run it on the system drive. If I run

partition it installs programs to.

The reason I have 4 partitions is... well, the original idea was one for OS, one
for games, one for sound editing, one for 3D work, everybody has their own
preference.

USB drives are very handy when moving data from one location to another, I just

to update them though...

relatively cheap and making backups is fast and easy... good for lazy and
unorganized people like me.

Hildur