POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vista Updates... *sigh* : Re: Vista Updates... *sigh* Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista Updates... *sigh*
From: gregjohn
Date: 28 Aug 2008 07:35:00
Message: <web.48b68cdb691453d234d207310@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Tim Nikias <JUS### [at] gmxnetware> wrote:
> > It's a Samsung with Vista installed.
>
> Two solutions come to mind, the first one not so drastic, the second
> one more drastic:
>
> 1) Upgrade to [some other version of Windows]
> 2) Upgrade to Linux.
[ 3) Go to Mac]

2003: the response above would be the troll or OS-fascist's attempt to start a
flame war.
2008: the response above needs to be said by more brave souls in these troubled
times.

The question then, if Linux is chosen, is which distro is best for guiding your
Dad in for a landing over the phone.  I've seen Linux big-wigs in forums say,
"I positively do not care if Linux is ever the right OS for someone's
grandfather. UNIX never was."  I think I'd stay away from a distro where too
much say was purists about closed source drivers.  Folks' Dads might not be
able to roll their own.