POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow artifacts on isosurface : Shadow artifacts on isosurface Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  Shadow artifacts on isosurface
From: quark67
Date: 27 Aug 2008 16:40:01
Message: <web.48b5bb55bb48aee0a629fab00@news.povray.org>
Hello, how can I remove artifacts in the shadow of an isosurface?
For exemple, I will compare the image of a sphere and the image of a sphere
created with isosurface.

This code give a good smoothed shadow :
camera {location <0,0,-4> look_at 0}
light_source {<-100,200,-100> color rgb 1}
sphere {0 1 pigment {rgb .9} }

But if I try the same with an isosurface, this code give artifacts :
camera {location <0,0,-4> look_at 0}
light_source {<-100,200,-100> color rgb 1}
isosurface {
 function{x*x+y*y+z*z-1}
 max_gradient 4
 contained_by{sphere{0,1.1}} open
 pigment {rgb .9}
}

Please see the pictures that illustrate this here :
http://quark67.free.fr/isosurface.html

Thanks for your help.
Sorry for bad english, this is not my first language.