POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV64 Driving me nuts! : Re: POV64 Driving me nuts! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV64 Driving me nuts!
From: Kirk Andrews
Date: 26 Aug 2008 15:50:01
Message: <web.48b45d90e3e105d89dc9af5b0@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> wrote:
> "Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> wrote:
> > Well, I bought a new laptop over the weekend (I'm pretty excited about it--4GB
> > ram, Dual 2.0 GHz, NVIDIA 512, and a 64 bit system J), so I downloaded the 64
> > bit version of POV.  The problem is that all those little messages you get when
> > you first start using POV never go away!  You know, the ones that tell you how
> > you can change what happens when a render finishes, etc.  They all have the
> > nice little checkbox titled "never tell me again", but it ALWAYS tells me
> > again!  They won't go away!  Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Ok, I think I know what's going on, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  Of course,
> my new machine has Vista (that power-hungry control freak), and it doesn't want
> to let any changes happen within the program files folder.  I'm guessing that
> POV needs to update a file in its directory to actually turn off all the boxes,
> but Vista is preventing it from happening.  I don't suppose anyone knows how to
> fix it?  Probably not, you are all smart people, and chose not to use Vista at
> all...

Ok, everyone else probably had this figured out from the beginning, but if you
want to know, I figured it out.  If you've got Vista, you need to go to the
control panel/user accounts and find User Account Control, and turn it off.
Then you can open up POV and tell it never to tell you all those little hints
again.  Afterward, you could turn user account control back on again if you so
desired.