POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to crash povray? : Re: How to crash povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to crash povray?
From: gregjohn
Date: 25 Aug 2008 22:30:01
Message: <web.48b36a3282efd91134d207310@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> When randomly exploring a fractal, it's very hard to detect
> if a given "location" is interesting before you actualy
> render that location. Your test may flag a marvalous
> location as uninteresting and skip it, and then render 100 of
> extremely boring ones accidentaly flaged as "interesting"...

No, with eval_pigment, one may compare the colors of two close-by points in
fractal space.  If they are identical, then there's a good chance you're out in
a field of blanket color.  I had a pretty good run of looking at fields where
the colors were dissimilar. Not all worthy of uploading to zazzle, but
certainly interesting.    I think the most interesting test (but biggest
longshot as far as remote odds) would be to look for a black spot and a
non-black spot in the same field.