POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to crash povray? : Re: How to crash povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:35:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to crash povray?
From: Reactor
Date: 22 Aug 2008 14:50:00
Message: <web.48af0a1082efd911c498eae60@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I'm setting up an animation, where every frame is very different.  I only want
> povray to go to the trouble of creating an image if condition  #if() is met.
> Are there certain kinds of errors for which povray will give an error so
> serious it refuses to create an image, but go on to the next frame?  Something
> like 1/0?  And in these cases, does it always create an all-black bitmap?

if every frame is very different, why not use a case/switch based on the
frame_number?  That or set your clock variable in such a way that every frame
can be used - depending on the length of the animation, processing frames that
aren't needed may add an unnecessarily large amount of time.

Something like:

#switch( frame_number )

    #case( 4 ) // object for frame four:
        box{ <-1,-1,-1>, <1,1,1> }
    #break

    #range( 1, 5 ) // objects for frames 1 through 5
        // note that all clauses that are true will be processed
        sphere{ }
    #break
#end

Either that, or use the file queue and set up several files in advance, perhaps
in conjunction with the above techniques

-Reactor