POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My Chessboard : Re: My Chessboard Server Time
17 May 2024 23:02:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Chessboard
From: alphaQuad
Date: 22 Aug 2008 12:40:00
Message: <web.48aeeaf273b1f4595c1850190@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> alphaQuad wrote:
> > no pic, waiting for a better one @ adaptive 0 but looks like adaptive 50
>
>   adaptive 50 would only make a difference if your area light has more
> than 1125899906842625 x 1125899906842625 points in it. We can assume it
> doesn't.
>
>   Adaptive 0 makes a difference if your area light has more then 2x2
> points in it. For adaptive 1 it has to have more than 3x3 points, for
> adaptive 2 it has to have more than 5x5 points, for adaptive 3 it has to
> have more than 9x9 points, for adaptive 4 it has to have more than 17x17
> points. In general, "adaptive n" will make a difference only if your
> area light has more than (2^n+1) x (2^n+1) points. For adaptive 50
> that's 1125899906842625 x 1125899906842625.
>
>   If your adaptive value is too large, POV-Ray will simply ignore it and
> use the area light without any adaptive supersampling.

ya that makes sense, I have to read stuff 2-3 times before it sinks in.

Between king and queen shadows could not fixed at adaptive 0, gave up and bumped
to 1. Still quick by my standard.

New white wood brightens scene
Area light diameter from 15 to 12
Probably a bad choice = lost captured piece light,
complicated by table finish changes.

fixed phong haze/burnout that was in previous image.

I can show a statement in the help file somewhat inaccurate:
(Or that I have no memory)
"Area light only affects shadows" (from memory)

area_light diameter greater than light distance is like setting phong intensity
lower as it's diameter goes up..
less than light distance seems to have little change.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'chess9_a.jpg' (118 KB)

Preview of image 'chess9_a.jpg'