POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My Chessboard : Re: My Chessboard Server Time
3 May 2024 17:07:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Chessboard
From: alphaQuad
Date: 20 Aug 2008 13:40:01
Message: <web.48ac55e573b1f45989ae70600@news.povray.org>
now I see adaptive, 0 must have shut it off, so thats where all the render time
is hiding!

The adaptive command is used to enable adaptive sampling of the light source. By
default POV-Ray calculates the amount of light that reaches a surface from an
area light by shooting a test ray at every point light within the array. As you
can imagine this is very slow. Adaptive sampling on the other hand attempts to
approximate the same calculation by using a minimum number of test rays. The
number specified after the keyword controls how much adaptive sampling is used.
The higher the number the more accurate your shadows will be but the longer they
will take to render. If you are not sure what value to use a good starting point
is adaptive 1. The adaptive keyword only accepts integer values and cannot be
set lower than 0.

now to test what visible difference if any.