POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : transparent (alpha channel) backgound? : Re: transparent (alpha channel) backgound? Server Time
4 May 2024 12:00:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: transparent (alpha channel) backgound?
From: gbclemson
Date: 17 Aug 2008 16:00:01
Message: <web.48a882eb69a0073e30c248c10@news.povray.org>

>   Use the command-line option +ua (in the Windows version you can write
> command-line options on the textfield at the top of the window, at the
> right of the resolution selection dropdown menu) and use as output an
> image format which supports alpha channel, such as png (+fn) or tga (+ft).
>
> --

                                                         - Warp

I have the same question as the original post...

I have seen a lot of info about using "transmit" and making sure that I am
outputting a PNG or TGA but I have not had any success getting these things to
actually work.

I do not have a usable alpha channel when I open my image in photoshop.

When I export a TGA (by using "Output_File_Type=C") I get an "alpha" channel in
photoshop but it fills the entire image it does not apply only to the
background.

When I export a PNG (by using "Output_File_Type=N") I do not get an alpha
channel at all.

I am a total newbie to rendering but I am trying to stitch together enough
scenes to simulate a rotating model of a building and therefore it would be
great to not have ANY background behind the model.

I have attached some info from my POV file and my INI file that I am using to
render with:

POV FILE:
background{ color rgbt<0,0,0,1> }

INI FILE:
[4966x2464, AA 0.3]
Output_File_Type=N
Output_Alpha=on
Bits_Per_Color=8
Width=4966
Height=2464
Antialias=On
Antialias_Threshold=0.3

What do I have to do to get a truly transparent background?