POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well. : Re: povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well.
From: gregjohn
Date: 16 Aug 2008 09:00:00
Message: <web.48a6cf1f444429334d207310@news.povray.org>
stbenge <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> When you tried the boolean operation in Blender, did the deformed mesh
> still have the deform modifier attached to it? Did it have multires
> enabled? What about subdivision surfaces? It's best to apply all those
> first, and then decimate the mesh before trying anything fancy.
>
> Blender is a different beast, and must draw to the 3D preview window as
> well as be able to render the final image. You can use bounding box mode
> for the preview, or wire frame mode. These are just ideas. I still
> manage to crash Blender every day I play with it :/

I had already Applied the Displacement Modifier before attempting a Boolean.
Can you give me more clues about multires?
What good would subdivision surfaces do? -- I can only imagine harm, and I
wasn't using them.

Ultimately, I was looking for a structure that:

i) can take inputs from a bitmap (povray: heightfield; blender: displacement
mod).

ii) when cut by a difference, has 3D volume to it.  (a heightfield by itself in
povray is just a surface; cut it and you've got half an "empty" surface.  Thus,
I was trying to cut a cube/box with a heightfield.)

iii) takes negative or positive shapes (povray doesn't care whether you've got a
bunch of black circles on white background or white on black;  blender gives
freaky results for one of these two).

So far, povray worked flawlessly in i), ii), and iii).
The only limitation is the lack of the real-time GUI display if someone wants to
grab and rotate it.

BUT, in this scenario,  for folks who know neither povray nor blender, it may be
hard for them to produce these cutaways with either app.  Unless there's an
expert around to help them.