POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well. : povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  povray vs. blender: blender doesn't do booleans w/ heightfields well.
From: gregjohn
Date: 14 Aug 2008 12:10:00
Message: <web.48a458b0c46418840d56c170@news.povray.org>
I've been experimenting with blender.  I spent a couple weeks of hobby time
trying to do Boolean operations on heightfields in blender.  (Except in
blender, the terminology is meshes to which a  Displacement Modifier has been
applied.)  I tried to use a box to cut a heightfield and just ran into lots of
failure, locked up screens, and things poofed out in ways that didn't make
sense.

Funny thing is I had been about to suggest to some folks that they use blender
in a professional setting to do this.  But I tried the same operation in
povray, and it worked the first time (ten minutes of coding from a pre-existing
heightfield SDL I'd written earlier).

Fascinating.