POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Last Man On Earth : Re: The Last Man On Earth Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:31:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Last Man On Earth
From: Reactor
Date: 4 Aug 2008 16:30:00
Message: <web.489765fdc102e2e8c90c6aa70@news.povray.org>
Bryan Valencia <no### [at] waycom> wrote:
> Bryan Valencia wrote:
> > First W.I.P.
> >
> > I wish there was a way to make the atmosphere thin enough to still see
> > the colors of the sky sphere.
> and now the attachment.

I think it is largely a question of angle of incidence (depending on your
scattering type) and clipping so that the media doesn't extend too far.  It can
be done, but does require tweaking.  If you post your source, I may be able to
help.

Test/example image attached, rendered it and saved radiosity without media, then
loaded saved radiosity file for the final trace.  Machine is a P4 3.00GHz single
core.  Media was constrained to the top half of a sphere 100 units in radius.

Render statistics:
  Total Time:    0 hours  3 minutes 20 seconds (200 seconds)
CPU time used: kernel 0.50 seconds, user 196.98 seconds, total 197.48 seconds
Render averaged 2430.57 PPS over 480000 pixels

Media block used:
//-------------- start code
media
{
    intervals 1
    samples 100
    confidence 1 - 1/255
    variance 1/255
    ratio 0.9 // adjust for scattering media
    scattering
    {
     1, color rgb <1,.9,.75> / 200
     extinction 0.5     // for balancing amount of absorption [1.0]
    }
    method 3               // adaptive sampling
    aa_threshold 0.1     // accuracy threshold for method 3 [0.1]
    aa_level 4           // maximum recursion depth for method 3 [4]
    density{ color rgb <1,1,1> }
}

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: