POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Focal Blur : Focal Blur Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Focal Blur
From: Reactor
Date: 3 Aug 2008 23:05:00
Message: <web.4896717ca2356e99c90c6aa70@news.povray.org>
I do a lot of photography, and setting up the camera in POV as a 35mm helps me
think of better ways to position the camera for animations.  As a result, I
have been working on a short macro to help me quickly set a camera in POV based
on real world 35mm settings.  However, I have hit an odd roadblock regarding
focal blur:
From the documentation:

> To turn on focal blur, you must specify the aperture keyword followed by a float
> value which determines the depth of the sharpness zone. Large apertures give a
> lot of blurring, while narrow apertures will give a wide zone of sharpness.

> Note: while this behaves as a real camera does, the values for aperture are
> purely arbitrary and are not related to f-stops.

Uh oh.  So... does anyone know what the values do relate to?

-Reactor