POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Light without light source? : Re: Light without light source? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light without light source?
From: Reactor
Date: 2 Aug 2008 21:50:00
Message: <web.48950ead4e32c40ec90c6aa70@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Sherry Shaw <ten### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> > In that case, set ambient_light to a tiny value, effectively killing the
> > ambient value in ordinary finishes, and set the ambient value of the
> > high-ambient object high enough to offset it.  (For example,
> > ambient_light 0.001 * ambient 10000 = 10)
>
>   IMO a cleaner solution is to use #default { finish { ambient 0 } }
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

What I prefer to do is have some variables at the top of my scene and reference
them throughout:

#declare use_radiosity = on; // off

#if( use_radiosity )
    #declare scene_diffuse = 0.95;
    #declare scene_ambient = 0.00;
#else
    #declare scene_diffuse = 0.85;
    #declare scene_ambient = 0.15;
#end

then, inside of the finish block of a texture:

finish
{
    specular 0 roughness 1
    ambient scene_ambient
    diffuse scene_diffuse
}

Sometimes I'll add another variable for light intensity, too.

-Reactor