POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Light without light source? : Re: Light without light source? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light without light source?
From: Triple Omega
Date: 28 Jul 2008 09:10:01
Message: <web.488dc4274e32c40ebc347d080@news.povray.org>
> Triple Omega wrote:
>
> > The problem i'm having is that whether i've defined a light source or not, any
> > plane and/or object is always illuminated.
>
> it's the ambient light. Add
>
>    #default {finish {ambient 0}}
>
> at the beginning of your scene file.
>
> However, this means all shadows cast will be pitch
> black, so you need to use fill lights or radiosity
> to avoid that.

Thanx a lot. I was following the beginner tutorials for pov-ray and came to
this: http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/36/ when i realised that
my render did not match what was being discribed. There is no mention of the
ambient light that is on by default, yet it expected me to have no ambient
light, sharp shadows and an unlit plane when using a spotlight. Maybe someone
should report this to someone?(I don't know who to contact.)