POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Light without light source? : Light without light source? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Light without light source?
From: Triple Omega
Date: 27 Jul 2008 18:20:01
Message: <web.488cf38ffb56fa1cbc347d080@news.povray.org>
First of all i'm a complete newbie, but i've searched a lot and didn't find
anything similar. (I'm using the windows version 3.6)

The problem i'm having is that whether i've defined a light source or not, any
plane and/or object is always illuminated. For example the following renders a
blue/red checkered plane thats a little dark, but illuminated all the way to
the horizon and a yellow sphere(also a little dark, but still illuminated):

  #include "colors.inc"
  #include "stones.inc"

    camera {
    location <0, 2, -3>
    look_at  <0, 1,  2>
  }

  sphere {
    <0, 1, 2>, 2
    texture {
      pigment { color Yellow }
    }
  }

    plane { <0, 1, 0>, -1
    pigment {
      checker color Red, color Blue
    }
  }

Now the "Messages" part of Pov-ray even states that no light sources were
in the scene, only 1 finite and 1 infinite object. So why isn't my rendering
completely black? There is no light source, so how can i possibly see
anything/how could it possibly render anything?

Thanks in advance,

Triple