POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Calculating rotation from normal : Calculating rotation from normal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Calculating rotation from normal
From: Angela
Date: 19 Jul 2008 23:05:01
Message: <web.4882aa50763e7e7e802286fd0@news.povray.org>
Sorry to post twice in a row. I hope I'm not being annoying... :-) I'm just
really stuck, and I'm sure there's an easy answer, but I can't figure it out.

I have 1) a point in a mesh and 2) a user-defined object created at the origin.
I want to be able to orient the object perpendicular to the mesh surface at the
known point. I know the normal, but I cannot figure out to calculate the
rotation for the object. Can I use the normal to orient the object, or am I
just way off in figuring out how to do this?

Thank you!
~Angela Perry