POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Using povray library : Re: Using povray library Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:55:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using povray library
From: AIV Developer
Date: 19 Jul 2008 18:00:01
Message: <web.48826346d3cc4b34e52a5a10@news.povray.org>

> These are not libraries, they have that odd name because someone is
> compiling the individual parts as libraries and then links them together.
> They are neither libraries nor are they meant to be. It is just an artifact
> of how they are built. I guess you are looking at the Linux version as these
> names do not exist on either the Windows or Mac versions of POV-Ray. I
> realize this might be confusing, but it is the way it is ... I will see if
> it can be changed.
>
>  Thorsten, POV-Team

Hi,

I think the naming is not that bad. One separates the code according to
their functions and create sub collections of routines, as is done for this
code base. It makes them more manageable. Then, naturally you call
them as lib<function>.a; library (literally!) of this and that "function."

I don't think anybody assumes that they are "independent" libraries;
I didn't (that's why I asked if that kind of use would be possible!)So, if I
may, I suggest you to keep it that way, which makes sense as software
engineering point of view.

Another suggestion (as I go over the code); it would be nice if well
separated layers (call it 'library' or whatever) use simple and clean APIs.
This becomes very important as the code gets complicated. Otherwise,
even the writer of the code will have difficulty in maintaining the code,
causing valuable man power.

Cheers,
TA