POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 22-Character Crash : Re: 22-Character Crash Server Time
3 May 2024 08:59:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 22-Character Crash
From: alphaQuad
Date: 18 Jul 2008 18:45:01
Message: <web.48811be64863e4f55083b53c0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> How Camp <hac### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Heh, in exploring the bounding box crashes I mentioned earlier, I'm now able to
> > crash POV 3.6 (on winXP) using only a 22-character scene file:
>
> > #debug str(1E251,0,-1)
>
>   Doesn't crash with the linux version (self-compiled). Might be
> platform-dependent.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

platform-dependent was my first thought.

here its
max factor(170) = 7.257415615307994e+306

with a ceiling around 1.8e308+INF

andrel said:
pov3.5 does not crash

TO andrel:
last time I got vc compiler error on mem damage (tried to free wrong mem)
I was damaged. I cant see how this is safe for anyone to just test the limits by
instructing the impossible.

you can get a good mem checker that will make a boot disc and check mem. thats
how I confirmed source or errors that followed. Luckily only memory was
damaged.