POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Using povray library : Re: Using povray library Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:09:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using povray library
From: AIV Developer
Date: 18 Jul 2008 14:30:00
Message: <web.4880e03dd3cc4b34e52a5a10@news.povray.org>
> AIV Developer wrote:
> > Would this be easily possible with povray libs? Any pointers will be
> > appreciated.
>
> POV-Ray is not a library. What you want to do cannot be done with any
> existing POV-Ray.
>
>  Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

Thank you for the reply.

I am aware that it is not "just a library", but it appears to have several
nicely separated layers of libraries, like libbase, libbackend, etc. I was
thinking that those might be used with a simple(r) frontend written by
the users.

Anyway. In the mean time, I had more time to look into the code base
of povray. Version 3.7 seems to be too complicated to be used for my
purpose. So, I went back to the beginning. And, I found version 1.0. It
appears to include all the properties I needed (but, slightly slower) And,
its code is significantly "easy." I could manage to write my own frontend
API which provides exactly what wanted. That was a quick solution for
the project. If/when I need more advanced ray-tracing features of later
versions, I may spent more time to understand the structure of the new
code.

Cheers,
TA