POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Artifacts on lathe object : Re: Artifacts on lathe object Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artifacts on lathe object
From: Reactor
Date: 17 Jul 2008 15:10:00
Message: <web.487f980364250a2e210497120@news.povray.org>
"Angela" <ang### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> A long time ago, when I first started playing with POVRay, it was quite the
> trend to have a short POV script for a signature. No one does that anymore it
> seems, but I always wanted to try it, so I did! Except the lathe object in the
> script appears with artifacts...

Offhand, it looks like the artifacts are from self-shadowing.  After trying the
usual tricks (translating or rotating by a very small amount, etc), I tried
using no_shadow, and the upper ones disappeared.  Unfortunately, this visibly
changes the image without removing some of the lower artifacts.  I am starting
to suspect a bug.

In any case, another work around that reduces (but does not entirely remove) the
artifacts is multiplying the light_source location vector by a higher number.
Code:

light_source{<1,30,1>*100 rgb 1}

With all else the same, the upper, darker artifacts do go away.

     HTH,
  -Reactor