POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images : Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images Server Time
5 May 2024 13:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images
From: SharkD
Date: 15 Jul 2008 07:05:00
Message: <web.487c83b89aa045fd60cc59ad0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> With that cuboid image you have, you could take the average pixel intensity
> over each face (in the x y and z direction), then assuming the texture was
> the same on each face you'd have an approximation of the light intensity on
> each face.

Yes, that was my backup plan. I am a bit wary, however, as I have done this once
before and things didn't turn out so well (though this may be due to the
original author assigning shades arbitrarily).

> You should be able to then determine the direction the light is
> coming from, and a guess at the light intensity (you can't know for sure,
> since you don't have the original texture used on the surface).

I can also determine the lighting direction from the angle and length of the
shadows. I was hoping to find an object where I knew for sure what color it was
to begin with, such as a perfectly white object. I.e., I was guessing that the
likelihood of them messing with such a pigment would be smaller. Alas, I
couldn't find such an object.

-Mike