POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy : Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Ethics, Open Source and Philosophy
From: Tom York
Date: 15 Jul 2008 02:15:00
Message: <web.487c3fb53167f0f77d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
Alexandre DENIS <Ale### [at] labrifr> wrote:
> This kind of answer is not likely to attract new developers.
>
> You may agree or not, but nowadays, most free (as in "of no cost")
> developers contribute to free (as defined by FSF) projects, or at least to
> FSF-friendly projects.
>
> I guess POV-Team doesn't need new developers.

I'm not sure you can prove this assertion that most people are put off by
licence issues.

I would guess that the combination of a small number of people who are
interested in the first place (how many renderer programmers are there?), a
complex codebase, and source access issues (e.g. effort in fixing defects in
25b source could well be wasted when the binaries are on beta 27) would limit
the pool of recruits.

Tom