POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Sanity test of full installer : Re: Sanity test of full installer Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sanity test of full installer
From: SafePit
Date: 13 Jul 2008 01:20:01
Message: <web.48799026796ddd41d57798c90@news.povray.org>
> I was able to install under Vista as an ordinary user (no admin). I had to
> choose a different install path, and also had to click to ignore several
> errors during install (where the installer attempts to do things like set
> admin keys or install fonts - none of these are essential). No registry
> editing was needed to get the installed program to work. I'm not sure what
> went awry in your case.

So, I tried to install it using the default location (Program Files).  I get a
permission error when it tries to copy the files (can't write to the
directory). I don't get the usual UAC prompt like I do installing other
programs.  I would assume that coping the files would be done by elevating to
Administrator or SYSTEM privs first, but I have the feeling it is trying to
copy the files as the local user instead.  That probably also explains the
other errors you get (normal user can't muck with those either).