POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature request: Texture / Finish adjustments : Feature request: Texture / Finish adjustments Server Time
3 May 2024 06:56:25 EDT (-0400)
  Feature request: Texture / Finish adjustments
From: Reactor
Date: 12 Jul 2008 22:30:00
Message: <web.4879686865b373a3b5bf4fb40@news.povray.org>
Currently it seems that the top most finish in a layered texture overrides all
finishes below it.  This is usually undesirable, and while it can sometimes be
overcome, it would be nice to have a property that allows one to specify the
degree to which a texture is applied.  This would be similar to what transmit
does with colors by allowing the underlying color to show through, except it
would work for the entire texture, including the finish and normal properties.

I would also like to see the finish statement changed so that it would able to
accept functions and patterns much like pigments or normals.  I also would like
to see the ambient vector be changed from a color 3 vector to a full rgbft
vector.  This would allow for unlit parts of objects to be striking
transparent, and the lit portions less visibly so, which is useful for certain
things involving the alpha channel.

It would also be nice to have the specular float value changed to a color vector
(roughness should stay float, as it determines the size of the highlight).

-Reactor