POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problems with photon mapping and transparancy : Re: Problems with photon mapping and transparancy Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with photon mapping and transparancy
From: Reactor
Date: 11 Jul 2008 20:20:00
Message: <web.4877f85d5199265b1c70c0cf0@news.povray.org>
"Killroy Quartermaine" <iam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> The bottle renders perfectly on it's own. The "water" renders just fine on it's
> own as well. Just about perfectly clear, with the right diffraction and
> whatnot.
>
> But when I render the two together, the water appears more like crude oil, and
> while it makes a very pretty pattern with the  diffracted light from the
> bottle, I was aiming for clear water.
>
> Any help that you can offer would be much appreciated.

A few things I noticed that might help (in addition to the max_trace_level
issue):

In the code for your water, the ior is 1.01.  The ior for water is actually
closer to 1.33.  I would set the dispersion to 1.01 though, like
    interior {ior 1.33 dispersion 1.01}
This requires a fairly high max_trace_level, around 30
(if you prefer your values, then please disregard)

When I ran your scene, I tested it with a light background to ensure that the
max_trace_level was not being hit (so I could distinguish a black patch from
what could be the background).  During that, I noticed that the texture for the
plane is actually translucent.  If you are not going to place any objects
beneath the plane, I recommend using a different texture or modifying that
texture for a possible speed boost.

You have two identical light sources in the same location.  You can actually use
one but make the intensity greater than one, like:

light_source {<-10,10,0>
         White * 2
         area_light <1,0,0>, <0,0,1> 3,3 adaptive 1 jitter
         photons{area_light}
         }

Using a multiplier of 2 would make it twice as bright, which would be equivalent
to your code.

    HTH

-Reactor

P.S. Have fun!