POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images : Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images Server Time
5 May 2024 06:41:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse engineering scene settings from rendered images
From: SharkD
Date: 10 Jul 2008 23:15:01
Message: <web.4876cf8d9aa045fde116e5c40@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> It may be much easier to recreate the scenes from scratch to match the
> original(s) as much as possible.
> Recreate the objects, props, walls, terrains and characters on ther own. Adjust
> the scales so that they match. Assemble the various elements to remake the
> desired image.
>
> --
> Alain
> You know you've been raytracing too long when you're starting to find these
> quotes more unsettling than funny.
>      -- Alex McLeod a.k.a. Giant Robot Messiah

Thank you for taking interest in the subject! I would like to stress that I do
not wish to recreate the objects themselves. There are several people (or a few
people anyway) who have dedicated themselves to supplementing the existing
objects with new ones. What is missing, however, is the original scene
information so that new images don't look out of whack when compared next to
existing ones. Lighting, camera and object geometry should be trivial to
determine geometrically. Things like ambience and light intensity are what I
wish to figure out (luckily radiosity is not an issue). Also, I have an
uncommon bent towards exactitude. I would like to learn of computational means
of determining this. I don't like experimenting and fiddling with trial and
error unless what I'm creating is entirely new.

-Mike