POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woohoo!!!! : Re: Woohoo!!!! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Woohoo!!!!
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 9 Jul 2008 16:05:01
Message: <web.487518f2163791fb86ff1d480@news.povray.org>
> >> OK, now that really *is* counter-intuitive. On a map, it looks like the
> >> coast of Africa and America would "fit together" if you moved a few
> >> tectonic plates around. But this diagram shows that America is many
> >> times smaller than Africa, so this would be quite impossible.
> >
> >> This is puzzling, since I thought that Africa *was* connected to America
> >> in the fairly recent geological past...
> >
> >   Uh, which "America" are you talking about? The continent named "America"
> > or the country named "United States of America" (often shortended as just
> > "America")?
> >
> >   That image has the USA compared to Africa, not the whole American
> > continent.
>
> Last I checked, "the USA" makes up about 90% of the North American
> continent anyway... (But then, what do *I* know about geography?
> Apparently very little!)
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

Yes, apparently very little. As for the USA being 90% of North America, Canada
is actually larger than the USA. In fact, my Canadian World-of-Warcraft
guildmates have informed me that Canada is the second largest country in the
world, larger even than China, beat out by Russia. And don't forget about our
Mexican cousins living to the south of the USA (and yes, still in North
America).

-Rob (Florida, USA, where it's really hot right now)