POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : combining partial images : Re: combining partial images Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:48:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: combining partial images
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 9 Jul 2008 15:25:00
Message: <web.48750da57ec83d1b86ff1d480@news.povray.org>
"stevenvh" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > stevenvh <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > I made a set of partial images using Start_Column, End_Column, Start_Row and
> > > End_Row.
> > > Now I want to combine them, but Photoshop can't read the images. Are the files
> > > not standard bitmap files (PNG in my case)?
> > > Any tools around to do this?
> >
> >   Try with the Gimp. IIRC, it ignores the errors and reads the images.
> > You can then re-save them.
> >
> > --
> >                                                           - Warp
>
> Hi Warp,
> thanks for the suggestion. Installed GIMP and it does read the files alright.
> However. In the POV-Ray render window the non-rendered area is checkered, so I
> presumed it would be transparent. My Photoshop-idea was to load all the files
> as individual layers, and then simply flatten the image.
> GIMP shows the non-rendered area as black, so the simple trick won't do.

Steven, you can use GIMP to do what you proposed doing with PhotoShop, scripted
or manually. Here's the manual method:

1. Open the first partial image in GIMP.
2. Use the Dialogs > Layers menu (F7 on Windows) to pull up a list of layers
3. Open the second partial image in GIMP and copy it.
4. Paste this partial image onto the first partial image
   (this makes a separate layer for the pasted image).
5. User menu Layer > New Layer (Shift+Ctrl+N)
6. In the Layers dialog set the pasted layer to mode: Screen.
7. Repeat 3-6 for each partial image.

This will ignore the black areas and make all the layers visible as a single
image at each step.

You can do the same thing in PhotoShop - experiment with the different layer
merge modes (Multiply, Lighten, etc.).

Hope this helps.

-Rob

"There is no spoon..."