POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mangosteen : Re: Mangosteen Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mangosteen
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 7 Jul 2008 13:35:01
Message: <web.487252e588bd5d305a8888d90@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Some time ago, I mentioned that I have a penchant for trying exotic
> fruits. Someone suggested I try mangosteen. But, due to a quarantine
> against a certain fruit fly, they were illegal in the United States.
> Well, I was at the grocery store eyeing the fruits on the upper shelf
> (which generally tend to be exotics, though sometimes perfectly
> ordinary) I saw something that looked a bit like a purple passion fruit,
> but not quite. I got closer to inspect. Nope, nothing I had seen before.
> It had a sticker on it "Mangosteen - Imported from thailand - treated
> with irradiation" so, I found one that I thought would be good. Brought
> it home, and split it open. Oh, man! What I've been missing!

I'll have to give a look at a local store that carries a fairly wide variety.
This is probably old hat to a true exotic fruit aficionado, but I have fairly
recently discovered that I really like star fruit (named for the shape of the
cross-section when cut). They go particularly well with a combination of kiwi
fruit and strawberries, both in terms of flavor and appearance, in a party
fruit tray.

Best Regards,
Mike C.