POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A few questions : A few questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  A few questions
From: Andreas
Date: 6 Jul 2008 08:50:00
Message: <web.4870bea283c1c1ea877851dc0@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I'm relatively new to POV-Ray, and I have some questions regarding a small
project I'm working on.

For one thing, I'd like to create a lava flow of sorts, which would illuminate
the surrounding area. I've tried to make the flow hollow and use it as a light
source, but that didn't seem to work. So I made a flow with high ambiance
levels, and used radiosity, which would light up the the canal in which the
lava flows. However, this does not light up any objects further away. Any
suggestions on this matter?

The second question is about texturing. I'd like to make a whip (bullwhip to be
exact..), but I can't seem to get the texture (braids) to follow the surface.
So far I've tried sphere_sweep and a 3D model which I've made, but nothing
seems to work correctly.
On the topic of texturing, I've thought about using two layered textures rotated
to be perpendicular to each other to simulate the braids, but does anyone have a
better approach?

Thank you for any tips and tricks you can share

Andreas