POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering : Re: PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay 3.7 maxes all 4 cores to 100% while rendering
From: Aydan
Date: 2 Jul 2008 10:40:01
Message: <web.486b9234a80bdc7f1ccf29180@news.povray.org>
"Stonefox" <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> is it normal for PovRay 3.7 to max all of my 4 cores on an Intel Q9450 to 100%
> for the duration of the render?

as they say: it's not a bug it's a feature!

or to be more direct: RTFM!

What you call a bug has been a huge effort to implement and get running
efficiently, namely using all available resources of modern PCs to speed up
rendering.

And what you write about 3.6 using only parts of the each CPU core is the OS
doing it's job. You might see that the total CPU usage of 3.6 will be 25% on a
quadcore, which is exactly one core @100%.

also you can set the number of threads running, which means if you set this to 3
you'll have one core free for other stuff.

Greetings
Aydan