POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Tricky Light : Tricky Light Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:39:40 EDT (-0400)
  Tricky Light
From: Woody
Date: 2 Jul 2008 00:10:00
Message: <web.486afea135de7638f45a716c0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to cast a light on a black surface such as

box{ -50, 50 scale x/500 pigment{color Black}}

  light_source {
    30*x, Red
    projected_through { sphere{20*x, 1} }
  }

but shining any light on a black surface and the light will not reflect (that is
it has not effect)

However, I want to have an effect like shining a red light on a white wall where
that light source is the only light scen. (or shining a white light on a red
surface, again the only light source in the scene.) So it will appear that the
surface is black and the light is red.

But I can't do that because I need to create a white object, such as

sphere{10*x,3 pigment{color White}}

However, in order to have that visible I would need to have an additional white
light somewhere in the scene, which would illuminate the true pigment of the
wall I'm trying to make look black.

Any ideas?