POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Contour map -- plane vs. isosurface : Re: Contour map -- plane vs. isosurface Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Contour map -- plane vs. isosurface
From: How Camp
Date: 27 Jun 2008 15:25:02
Message: <web.48653db7ea33eefc59235590@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   I really don't understand what is it that you are trying to do.
>
>   Are you trying to, perhaps, project the isobars of an isosurface onto
> a plane (so that it will look like an elevation map)?

Apologies.

Let's start with a contour plot like Mike showed.  A plane with isobaric data
(like a weather map of temperatures across a region).  My goal is to make a
corresponding isosurface that matches this isobaric data -- that is, the
contour lines match up with the isosurface's elevation.  Looking at the
isosurface from the 'top', I would expect to see a contour map that looks
identical to the planar map.

Using your trick, Warp, I can generate a contour map on my isosurface via a
gradient function.  Using a noise3D function like Mike, I can generate contour
lines on either the isosurface or the plane... I just can't seem to get the
syntax right to make them match.