POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 10 things to use a Min Heap for : Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 18 Jun 2008 09:20:00
Message: <web.48590a7dc40c56bb5a8888d90@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> Heh. Now tell me something I don't already know. ;-) [Such as how to
> *find* a better job... that'd be useful!]

Actually, with respect to finding a better job, the problem has less to do with
*knowing* what to do (which isn't all that complicated) than with resolving to
actually do it.  The work-a-day world can can easily leave one feeling drained
and thoroughly disinclined to take on as demanding a project as conducting a
proper job search.  Job hunting not only uses up lots of time and effort in the
physical sense, it is also emotionally taxing in that it requires one to face
the likelihood of multiple rejections before achieving any success.  It's
rather unlikely that the following list contains anything that you couldn't
have thought of yourself, but it might be useful to have these ideas in front
of you for consideration, so here goes:

1.  Don't wait until you NEED a new job to look for a new job.  That's how
people end up having to take yet another job that they don't get anything from
but a paycheck.

2.  Make a short list NOW of places where you would like to be working in two
years and establish communications with both the human resources department AND
the department(s) that you would like to work for.  Be very explicit that your
interest is specific, serious, focused and long-term and that you are NOT
merely inquiring in regard to current posted openings.

3.  Create and *maintain* a library of job search support documents such as
resumes in various formats, references, recommendations. college transcripts
and examples of your work so that you can take advantage of any opportunity
INSTANTLY using top quality documents.

4.  Always send important communications in BOTH electronic and paper format.
In any given company, it might be either one that will be retained and used to
contact you should an opportunity arise.  Always send your resume and cover
letter UNFOLDED and in a presentation cover in a flat 9' x 12' envelope. Making
the effort to introduce yourself with professional looking documents really DOES
matter.

5. Keep records of whom you have contacted and when.  Never allow more than
ninety days to go by without renewing a contact.  Only make contact more
frequently than this after you have established a relationship with a specific
individual who has expressed a positive interest.

Again, none of this is any great revelation. The real question is whether or not
one is actually DOING it.

Best Regards and Good Hunting,
Mike C.