POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Write my own review - WTF?!? : Re: Write my own review - WTF?!? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Write my own review - WTF?!?
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 11 Jun 2008 12:35:00
Message: <web.484ffd69864a2d875a8888d90@news.povray.org>
Kyle <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote:
> This is a bit of a rant, but I think I have good reason.
>
> I've been working for my company for almost 20 years.  My manager has not given me a
formal evaluation in seven years
, even though I get an "I'm working on it" every year when I ask about it.

> Last week, I reminded him of my review date passing yet again this year, and I
received a reply from him that states
that I need to write my own review.  Note that this is not a self-evaluation for
> comparison against my formal review that he will write.  He wants me to write my
formal evaluation and he will then m
odify/append to it.  Ok, WTF?!?

> Now I received another message from him that states that my review is due to him
before the end of June.  So, basical
ly he is seven years late and now wants me to have it done for him in a couple of
> weeks.
>
> Would I be wrong in telling him to shove it?  I'm becoming quite pissed about this
whole situation.

Define "wrong".

If, by "wrong", you mean acting in a manner not in accordance with rationally
evaluated ethical behavior given the applicable context and circumstances, then
no, you would not be wrong.  He is clearly asking you to compensate for his
failure to execute his responsibilities in a timely and appropriate manner with
your efforts and to do so in an unreasonably short time frame. You knew this.
(Duh.)

If, on the other hand, by "wrong", you mean not acting in a manner which can
reasonably be expected to produce a desirable result, then yes, inviting him to
use the blank review form as a suppository would be wrong. Since you are even
entertaining the notion placating this imbecile with compliance, I shall infer
that maintaining your employment in its present form is a matter of practical
necessity for the time being.  This being the case, you should bite the bullet
in the short term while making the necessary plans to take yourself to a place
where such appeasement will not be necessary in the future. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccol%C3%B2_Machiavelli

Good Luck and Best Regards,
Mike C.