POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray lighting model vs Rayshade : POV-Ray lighting model vs Rayshade Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray lighting model vs Rayshade
From: Grim Reaper
Date: 4 Jun 2008 04:25:00
Message: <web.48465076c44304ed6863987c0@news.povray.org>
I have always liked the Rayshade lighting model, since you can specify the
ambient, diffuse and specular colour as rgb values, instead of the POV-Ray
percentage of diffuse model.

What are the chances of allowing this in POV-Ray? Or can someone tell me how to
write a Renderman surface shader that will mimic the Rayshade model so I can
use it with POVMan.

The problem with the POV-Ray model is that you can never get exactly the colour
you want, even when you iteratively try and refine it. If you change the light
you have to redo all the colour. It's harder to get the colour you want, cause
you can't just directly specify it.

Thanks